We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Ftp speeds to Canada

ShankedGolfer
10-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Even when i try anything from http://proof.ovh.net/ i get around 300k download speed. But my server only gives me 70-100k :/

ShankedGolfer
10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Fair enough, the confusing part to me is why 94.*.*.* ovh servers peer great to me, but 188.*.*.* do not? It makes no sense:/ Doesn't matter what i try or what i change. It still ends up the same fast from 94 servers and slow from 188. If i could proxy thru a 94 or switch to a server located where they are. I would love that. I know what i am saying makes no sense, and it shouldn't. But its the reality i am faced with. What would you do if you were me?

Niall
10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi ShankedGolfer,

Rilly is essentially correct. All of our servers are located in France. Buying from UK or IE or IT...it doesn't change where the server is physically located. And as explained by support email, we do not yet have peering in North America.

Niall.

Rilly
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
It doesn't matter where you buy the server - they are all in 1 of 3 possible datacentres all within France.. Living in UK and buying a server from OVH won't make a difference.. they could be on the same rack side by side.

Regarding "why sell to us/ca".. this is actually why for the longest time they haven't sold to USA or at least the reason they gave.. Peering and billing (they used to sell to Canada before then stopped).. they wouldn't guarantee the peering. I don't believe they've done any improvements to the peering - they've just decided to allow us to order through .ie (but - someone correct me if I'm wrong there!)

OVH isn't a great host if you want good speeds to Canada. You'll have better luck with a US company (and server.lu isn't too bad as long as the datacentre power failures stop).

ShankedGolfer
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Put my ticket in and after some back and forth.......they say it looks like either something i have setup that limits ftp or its my isp. How the hell can it be my isp when i have tried many 94.* series(OVH) servers and get awesome speeds. Yet mine wont peer to North America :/ Why sell to us/ca and limit transfer speeds. If i lived in the uk and bought one i could peer no problem to Canada WTF!!! I took a screen shot of http transfer from my server to my house 122k and another screen shot using another ovh server as the proxy. I got 1.5 MB/s........... ya its def my isp that is throttling me LMFAO.....They didn't say anything about that, just that they needed to try to download the file themselves. Of course when they try to download the file everything seems fine. Do you have a server in Canada to transfer to? Everyone told me don't go back to ovh, "You will regret it" turns out they were right. I do regret it. Guess its back to server.lu for me......small HD's but at least i can get decent speeds to my house.

ShankedGolfer
10-19-2010, 08:02 AM
They were all giga's. Two eg best of's and one eg amd.....all older models no 188.* ip addy.

Sadly the only good segmented ftp for mac is captain ftp. It only splits files into 4. I tried cuteftp for mac and it was bare bones I have been using a santrex france proxy to download thru FF. Unfortunately it doesn't allow ftp programs But i get 900k from it. Funny thing is, when i whois the ip. Its a 94.*.*.* ovh server..........

gueriLLaPunK
10-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ShankedGolfer
I shouldn't have to multithread. It would be one thing if my connection to OVH was crappy. But i have tried 3 other OVH servers now. The worst of the 3 was 350k per connection. Averaging about 700k between the 3. Mine is 100k :/ something is def wrong.
Probably due to their SLA. Are they all the same type of server?

In the meantime, I would just multi thread download to get your speeds up. Cute FTP Pro is the best one for Windows since it can multi thread a large single file, in case you didn't have rars on your server.

Rilly
10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
My speeds range from 100K to 450 K in general. I have a mix of low priority and premium bandwidth.. and they are all the same.. when I'm only getting 100K on one, its the same on all of them.

ShankedGolfer
10-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunK
Try multi threading your downloads to get better speeds?
I shouldn't have to multithread. It would be one thing if my connection to OVH was crappy. But i have tried 3 other OVH servers now. The worst of the 3 was 350k per connection. Averaging about 700k between the 3. Mine is 100k :/ something is def wrong.

gueriLLaPunK
10-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Try multi threading your downloads to get better speeds?

ShankedGolfer
10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I just went and tried my brother in laws server on ovh. He lives in the UK so he got his from .co.uk and i get 1.7 MB/s from it. The highest i have seen on mine is 122k-180k On average i'd say the hold at 100k per connection. This is just wrong

Right now i have 3 files transferring 97k, 94k and 111k

hackerxx
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ShankedGolfer
I was on an older eg best of and i got good ftp speeds ip was 91.*.*.* and this new eg-amd. I am getting poor ftp speeds. as good as half of what i used to and at the worst. One quarter the speed. Not sure if its just a routing issue, but when i run a traceroute its only going 7 hops including my router.

Any suggestions?
Me too ..I thought I was the only one..I have been getting a poor FTP speed connection

ShankedGolfer
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I was on an older eg best of and i got good ftp speeds ip was 94.*.*.* and this new eg-amd. I am getting poor ftp speeds. as good as half of what i used to and at the worst. One quarter the speed. Not sure if its just a routing issue, but when i run a traceroute its only going 7 hops including my router.

Any suggestions?