We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

OVH Cloud?

oles@ovh.net
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Good evening,
>
> Forgive my ignorance but what is "cloud"? I can not
> Understand exactly how it works or what's the point? and what is
> the difference between the amazon, google or ovh cloud?
>
> In all cases, is it uses the same sales and marketing 'spiel' about XML at the beginning or more recently Web 2.0??
>
> When we see the insecurity that reigns over this big bad Internet can this
> really be the future to entrust all our data too? and with the carbon tax, is it still be profitable? OVH will handle my email, SMS ,
> VoIP, website, and all my data in a cloud, is this what makes OVH "is not evil" certified?

Hello,
An interesting question that I can develop and respond to for everyone.

The difference with free offers is that our offers are paid for.
Our job is to provide technical services and which are therefore functional.
Such as the provision of storage, bandwidth resources, CPU, RAM, SQL, HTTP, email etc.. We do not make any other trade off.
OVH is not an advertising board. OVH does not sell books.

OVH is unlike any other professions that sell as we sell resources such as our data centers or our factories that we built "from scratch". We should not therefore create an economic model to find money to fund our offers. There is a much simpler solution: bill our clients for these services. Sorry: no innovation at this level. Innovation is at a very low level there.

You pay for these services by purchasing a share of our resources and OVH provides these resources that allow to store and manipulate your data and this 'data' belongs to you. We can not see what you do with your data, or even what your data is and it is of no interest to us.

It is none of our business. You simply need to respect the contract with OVH and remain within the limits of the resources you have rented from us. And if you need more, we have a service for you but it costs more. It's simple. Our service is purely technical, purely functional as you use us to spread or transfer what you want to whomever you want.

For me the equivalent of "is not evil" is at the capital level of a company. The system in which I live does not suit me and through this OVH project, I am not only trying to find something but also prove something else which may exist and may be better than before. Normally the capital of a company is used for investment. This investment helps to provide the services which turn a profit. So, the ultimate goal of a business becomes solely to earn money.

OVH will never be run that way. It works the opposite way: we sell services that allow us to invest more. That's to say that we are condemned to sell without losing money and fighting our costs everyday. Next, there are 2 issues that arise in everyday life: where are costs costs coming from and what needs investment. This determines the price of each service. Our concern is to preserve the equilibrium of "price = cost + investment".

It should be of interest to both customers and OVH. For our customers, there is a price level for each of our customers purchases. For OVH, there is a level of investment, so that we can continue to invest, innovate and propose new ideas and solutions. You should now have realised by now that we are the opposite of other companies. OVH does not pay for the principal and therefore our balance
is not "cost + investment + dividends = price".

Consequences: there are lower prices and/or our investments are stronger and/or thanks to our R&D costs our returns are lower. It's much more socially useful than a simple "money earner". In the 10 years of existence of OVH the simple fact is that this project has become a major force in the European landscape. We can say that it has given very encouraging results and this is what motivates us to continue. Moreover, this happens to bug all of our competitors throughout the world which remain on the old model to just "make money", or we will force them to go to our model or find an even a better model? Time will tell ...
Ovh is only 10 years old ... In any case, a purely financial model, as everyone has
seen, leads to nothing ...

To come back to the Cloud
--------------------------
Nobody has ever invented anything better than a dedicated server. 1 client/server.
Dedicated resources. A wide range of products. No limit on number
servers. Lots of options.

2 problems:

No.1: even if OVH established 1 click distributions, which allow us to move ahead with lots and lots of customers (resulting in us reaching 70,000 leased servers), there are still plenty of customers who do not want to make the jump because they do not want this responsibility. They prefer "Shared" solutions where they have nothing to do.

No. 2: the price of a dedicated server starts between €30-€50. This really is not too expensive for a dedicated server, but it's still €30-€50. The RPS costs just €10 and we saw that it had some resonance among a lot of customers even if the disk resources are not dedicated but shared.

This is called "Cloud" at OVH
- VPS offers (you havea root on the server where you can install any distribution of your choice)
- With the potential to modulate the resources used at this time and the usage time of these resources in VPS and/or /VM
- Running on a shared cloud (miniCloud or coreCloud) or dedicated (myCloud)

So this solves problem No.1, namely the administration of the infrastructure as it is OVH who manages it all. Nothing revolutionary. A competitor has done this for 7-8 years. To solve problem No.2, we start at €2 ex.Vat/month. And that is the novelty, the prices are very low compared to our competitors. "nothing revolutionary ", OVH has already done this for 2-3 years ... but for the pros, who can administer a dedicated server.

"cloud" is a way for us to bring you something successfully made by OVH, namely the dedicated server. It was successful because
technically we found nothing better for all of your projects. But,with miniCloud you can start with an OS/dedicated distrib for just
€2 ex.VAt/month and what if you need to increase these resources? There is a solution available for €15-€20 ex.VAT/month. If youl find the migration to "coreCloud" is more useful than staying in "miniCloud", 1-click and you'll spend €10-€15 in coreCloud instead of €15-€20 in "miniCloud". Then, what if the need arises for you to increase the resources to €60-€70. For €60-€70, you'll find the "myCloud" more interesting and you can switch to €50euro ex.VAT/month. Bingo! There, you're in a dedicated environment. Once there You have arrived at the final stage: dedicated, but in an environment that solves the 1st problem.

When I talk about price, if you want to compare OVH with our competitors today to every figure there must be a minimum x2 to x6 (especially at the "myCloud" level).
That means the equivalent of miniCloud is around x4 x5 x6 elsewhere. With regards to "coreCloud", the equivalent is x2 x3 x4 and also, "myCloud" x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 ... x10 there is no limit because if you compare an MG at €150 VAT/month to a VPS it doesn't matter if it's x3 or x4. The sacred savings are on the horizon ...

Now, we take 4 VM at €2 Ex.VAT/month and we add a hard load balancing to this 4 VM ... nobody has anything at that level ... the same goes regarding flexible storage and NAS/SAN managed storage... but I think that the real difference will come from VPN because a lot of companies (of every genre) will want to link their "myCloud" at Ovh to the infrastructures they already
have and then they will be able to "increase the size/space of their existing cloud" with "amazing" flexibility, accessibility and simplicity.

All this has already been suggested (or being prepared) for dedicated servers. The "Cloud" and "Shared" are 2 ways to pool the services that OVH offers with our dedicated servers.

Regards
Octave