We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Feedback From Beta Testers

Niall
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi MichaelW,

I have just tried this process myself (with Ubuntu Server 9.10 (Beta)) but found no problem. The mountpoint box appeared fine.

But I can only presume that there is some layout issue with the page. Could you send us an e-mail to us at support@ovh.ie with your OS / browser details, and ideally, a screenshot showing the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Niall.

MichaelW
10-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Using the server reinstallation tool I selected Ubuntu Karmic 32bit with the default partition layout, pressed validate and arrived at Step 3/3: Partitioning.

The default partition layout is
1. ext3 /
2. ext3 /home
3. swap swap

When I hit delete for swap, I get an option to create a new partition, so when I go to create a new swap partition, I have no box for a mountpount, when I accept I end up with:
3. swap none

I haven't actually tired the server reinstallation with a swap with no mountpoint.

Is this a bug with the UI which says there will be no mountpoint for the swap, or will it really create the swap that way?

Other than this, the server reinstallation tool is pretty ninja - I've never seen an AJAX powered sys prep tool like it

Edit:
I probably should say this is a little cosmetic issue - perhaps with the default options is should be mountpoint "none" anyway

deathray
10-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Another happy beta tester here. As someone else mentioned the control panel, although very useful, is somewhat awkward to navigate and seems well old design wise. Purely an aesthetic thing gripe however. Had a slight problem a while back and needed a reboot, done quickly and everything is working again. be nice if the price came back to 20 euro/month

calum
10-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I cant think of anything ive come across to date

Niall
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Niall,

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated and all comments and suggestions are passed on to the relevant people within OVH.

Regarding your older posts, we had some difficulty recently during a restructuring of the boards when we lost a lot of the original times and dates of the posts, but they are all still here on the forum.

Thanks,
Niall.

ned14
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Niall
Hi,

It has now been two and a half months since the launch of OVH Hosting in Ireland.

Just wondering how the 100+ beta testers are getting on with their free servers?

Feedback? Suggestions? Positives? Negatives? Ideas? Things you like? Things you don't like?
Well I had been making feedback posts to this forum until they all got wiped, so since I haven't bothered. I made extensive comments on the OVH RPS (unusable due to file system latency), how the OVH RPS could be massively improved if you added a 20Gb USB thumb hard drive costing US$10 and on my very strong wish for a dual core Kimsufi option at €30-€35/month because it's a huge hole in the lineup going from single core straight to quad core. On this one point (a dual core server) 1&1 hosting have you plain simple beat.

However, regarding the server itself, it's not at all bad. I'm running a full multi-site Plone installation which is fairly ridiculous for this level of CPU, but in fairness it just works. I have had complaints from users regarding network stalls and particularly poor network speeds from Australia though - traceroute says that OVH <=> Australia traffic routes through the US. I have had complaints from western US seaboard users too about slow site loads which I don't think is my CPU as the varnish reverse proxy cache removes such problems. Ping times from outside OVH peering seem inconsistent.

Things I particularly like: you have a superior control panel, no doubt. It works very well indeed even if it has an unintuitive layout and structure. The server reliability has been excellent - I've never found it down nor rebooted yet.

I really like that you support IPv6 natively. I actually run an IPv6 network here at home with a tunnel to the outside so I natively work in IPv6 most of the time. Most other server providers simply don't bother - and don't get me started on ISPs.

All in all I am very positively inclined. I have been recommending OVH on WHT on occasion, though its unmanaged nature is not for most people.

I am actually currently pondering what to do next: should I fork out for the quad core Kimsufi even though it's overkill for my purposes, or should I rent a more appropriately sized dual core server in the US.

I run http://www.lowenddedi.net/ by the way.

Cheers,
Niall

Niall
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

Quote Originally Posted by tonemgubz
Its hard to give feedback cause well I have yet to have an issue
That's good to hear Tonemgubz, but we even appreciate the positive comments!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
This forum isnt working right on firefox.
Anything that requires a POST shows "The connection was reset".
I am using Firefox, Eric, and haven't seen that problem. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by johan
So Far its going great
Good to hear Johan !!

johan
09-21-2009, 02:06 AM
So Far its going great,

Using it as a Gaming Server and the pings being seen are pretty decent, in some cases better then what people are getting to UK based Servers.

Eric
09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
My server is also running fine without any issues.

However, your new pricing and more importantly bandwidth limits put a big dent in my plans for using OVH.

FYI. This forum isnt working right on firefox.
Anything that requires a POST shows "The connection was reset".

tonemgubz
09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Its hard to give feedback cause well I have yet to have an issue. Reinstalls go without a hitch. Uptime is so far flawless. Any question I have has been answered already in your support sections. I've seen the server be a bit unresponsive under heavy load but well it is an entry level server and I was trying to do too much so my solution would really be to buy a more appropriately spec'd machine.

Actually I tell a lie, I do have one major problem....what am I going to do when my free server runs out

Niall
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi brhosting,

Unfortunately we have already allocated all of our beta testing servers.

Niall.

brhosting
09-17-2009, 02:16 AM
I really would like to have one server for testing purposes. Would it be that much if I ask one? :P

Niall
09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi,

It has now been two and a half months since the launch of OVH Hosting in Ireland.

Just wondering how the 100+ beta testers are getting on with their free servers?

Feedback? Suggestions? Positives? Negatives? Ideas? Things you like? Things you don't like?

We really want to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Niall.